All I want for Christmas is a Barbell!


You just got out-squat by a Lesbian


I just want to write something quick, no cliché comments, no half naked girls (well I see what’s on my drive) not flawlessly researched; just an opinionated rant. 

Most commercial gyms now days will happily hand over thousands of dollars for plasma screens. Pin loaded machines or the latest group fitness licence. However, what they refuse to even put 10% of their budget aside for is a proper; well engineered Barbell.

Poor or warn Barbells will create injuries, reduce your training ability and generally cause you a world of hate and pain. 

Now; from the outset, I am not an expert in Barbell construction, I am simply making a few points here; 

  • Cheap bars are made from cheap metals, this means the bar WILL bend. I personally acquired a $50 bar that came pre-bent from the China man.  
This was before my Bicep exploded
  •  Once a bar is bent; it is rendered USELESS, What do you think will happen to your arms and wrists if you have a bent bar rolling across your back, or worse trying to rotate as you receive a clean?
  • Chrome bars are cost effective and aesthetically pleasing but not particularly durable. The coating will flake off over time and the bar is subject to corrosion.  Furthermore; chrome is the worst substance this side of sex lube for grip. These bars are only a prospect for entry level lifters.
  •  Sleeving; one of a few problems here; if the bearings inside the sleeve cease to rotate the bar is now USELESS. Do you really want your wrists attached to a rotating max effort load?
  • Also; sleeves can DISLODGE from the bar if warn, this WILL end in catastrophe!
  •  Knurling; this is where speciality bars are required, for example and Olympic bar will have less abrasive knurling in the centre than a squat bar.  Poor or worn knurling will force you to ‘over grip’ the bar and create problems with forearms and shoulders. Furthermore; shit knurling’s will cause blisters (once again speaking from my own personal experience and from that of the guys I train with)
End result of a cheap, bent Barbell
Now; in Australia there are some very cost effective options available; Australian Barbell Co. Are now manufacturing (locally ftw) the ‘Power bar’ this bar has become an ‘industry standard’ in strength and conditioning. These retail around the $500 point. Iron Edge have a number of bars available for the same price point (please be awear Rick the CEO drives an M3 so this might not be a suitble option) and I am aware Underground EliteBrisbane are looking at importing speciality bars in 2012. 

Come on shitty commercial fitness industry; what is more important to your clients; a $1000 plasma TV playing the latest hit sit com to treadmillers or a $500 investment in your safety!   

No comments:

Post a Comment