With the RADelaide Power Lifting Novice and Improvers meet coming up on February 25th I thought I would detail a few common mistakes noobie lifters make
Maxing out in training:
I have written about this many times before, when training you want to build strength not test it. Yes by all means set some personal bests in training but do not go overboard missing lifts every week thinking it will make you stronger. Remember; when you train to failure, you fail to train.
Failing to de-load correctly:
You want to arrive on meet day fresh, and moving freely, for this reason I personally suggest you peak your training cycle 14 days out. Days 13-7 should be spent on dynamic effort work (that is working at 60% of your current 1-rep max) during this phase aim to lift fast, correct any small technique issues and practice under referee calls. Days 7-1 should be spent on stretching, foam rolling and ensuring you maintain hydration levels.
Trying to cut too much body weight:
![]() |
| If you fuck up, Beth will shoot you! |
Power lifters seem somewhat strange compared to athletes from other sports, in the sense they always look at the last meets score sheets and say ‘I can smash those numbers’. Think about this; if you did a few test days in a V8 Super Car do you think you could win Bathurst?
Remember, if this is your first competition you have a lot up against you, not only is the platform a potentially intimidating place to be, you won’t know what you don’t know. Just show up on the day and weigh-in. You have plenty of meets ahead of you to set records and win trophies.
Nutrition:
A classic question is ‘what should I eat differently before the meet’ the answer is nothing! In the week before the meet simply maintain your current eating plan. However, on competition day it is a little bit trickier. Personally I will have a 2 litre water bottle with a small amount of Pre-Workout and BCAA supplements mixed in (emphasizing the word small!). After the Squat I typically try to get a protein shake and a few jelly beans or other high glucose lollies in to me. These few calories will assist you to maintain energy levels through to the Dead Lift.
There you go part one of noobie mistakes I often see (and have made myself). However, don’t be afraid. This sport can be frustrating, intimidating, emotional, but it is always rewarding. If you have any questions please shoot me an Email or better yet come train at either McLaren Vale or Prospect Strength Clubs!
Next week we look at Warm-ups, referee calls and opening lift.


No comments:
Post a Comment