In my last blog, I actually wrote some constructive and intelligent content. The theme carries on for part 2 of Noobie Lifters but rest assure I have my most epic white boy rant to date in the pipe line
Warm-ups
![]() |
| Curls are for Girls |
A critical point of power lifting is the warm-up: You might be able to get away with a lazy warm up in other strength sports but in power lifting, forget it! Personally; I run through my standard dynamic warm-up program of; leg pendulums, hip rotations and shadow boxing prior to the squat. From there, I move to the active warm-up. I work in low repetition (singles and doubles) working up to around 90% of my opening lift (if my opening squat is 100kg, I would warm-up to a 90kg single). I suggest you practice your warm-up procedure 2 or 3 weeks out from the meet.
Opening lifts:
You only get 3 attempts at each lift and if you fail to make at least one successful lift in any one event you have ‘bombed’ (no longer eligible to record a ‘total’)
Openers should be 95% of your current best gym lift (if I squat 100kg in training, I would open at 95kg) second attempt can be +10% and third depends entirely how you feel on the day. Remember, you cannot reduce the weight on the bar so choose wisely!
Referee calls:
I can honestly say the biggest mistake I see noobies make is failing to obey the referee calls!
On all lifts wait until you hear the verbal command “The bar is loaded for X” before you enter the platform
Squat: Take to the bar in your own time, once you have completed your walk out the head referee will drop his arm and loudly give you a ‘Squat’ command. Once you have completed your squat wait for the ‘rack’ command (the classic mistake is re-racking the bar prior to command). The spotters will assist you to re-rack the bar.
![]() |
| Wait for the down call young Jedi |
Bench: Prior to getting on your back with your legs spread, speak to the handout guy about ‘where you want the bar’ the alternative is providing your own handout guy on the day. Once you hear the command ‘Your bar’ lower the bar to your chest and pause. Do not start to press until you hear the clear verbal command ‘Press’ or ‘Start’ from the head referee. Once the lift is completed wait in lockout for the ‘rack’ command. As with the squat the spotters will assist you to return the bar safely to the rack.
On a side note; if you cannot complete a lift the spotters will intervene and assist in getting the bar safely back to the rack. In this situation you are required to ‘stay with the bar’ until you hear the verbal command ‘clear’ or ‘safe’ from either the head spotter or referee.
![]() |
| Crossfit - Making woman hot & men weak (PTC Syd 2011) |
Dead Lift: This is the simplest of the lot, Pick up the bar, lock out wait for the ‘Down’ call then ‘pretend’ to control the bar back to the floor (that is; keep your hands on the bar).
There you go a list of noobie mistakes I often see (and have made myself). However, don’t be afraid. This sport can be frustrating, intimidating, emotional, but it is always rewarding. If you have any questions please shoot me an Email or better yet book a 1:1 PT



No comments:
Post a Comment